Email marketing can be profitable for any business, no matter what kind of product or service you offer. It is significantly cheaper than other advertising methods and, if done right, helps build loyalty and trust with customers/clients/patients. As a result, you generate more sales and more profits!
The foundation for successful email marketing is a targeted, permission-based email list. Marketers call contact lists their ‘goldmine’ because it can generate much of their sales revenue. If you’ve built up a list of opt-in subscribers that are qualified and interested in what you have to offer, then you’ve completed the first step and are on your way to success.
Below you’ll find several list-building and retention ideas that will help you get the best results from all your email marketing efforts:
1. Provide useful, relevant content. Your visitors will not give you their email addresses just because they can subscribe to your newsletter free of charge. You have to provide unique and valuable information that will be of use to them.
2. Add a subscription form to every page on your website. Make sure it stands out so it is easy to find. If it doesn’t look cluttered, you may want to include more than one on some pages. For instance, if your opt-in form always appears in the top-left corner of your site, you may want to add one at the end of your most popular blog posts. Also, check out Popup Domination. They offer a very attractive piece of software to help build opt-in lists…and have personally helped me increase my lists by 320% this year!
3. Add subscription forms to your social media pages. Make sure that you don’t waste this valuable source of revenue opportunities. Integrate your sign-up forms with Facebook and more! (your email service should have step-by-step documentation on this)
4. Make it easy for readers to sign up. The more information you request, the fewer people will opt-in. In most cases, a name and an email address should suffice. If it’s not necessary, don’t include it here. You can always survey them once they become your customer/client/patient!
5. Provide samples of your newsletters and special offers. This lets potential subscribers review your materials and/or get a preview before they sign up to determine if it’s something they’d be interested in. This is a great way to gain their trust right from the start.
6. Archive past newsletters and articles. An online library of past newsletters and articles is both appealing and useful to visitors and builds your credibility as an authority. In addition, if your articles are written with good SEO techniques in mind, they can increase traffic to your website through enhanced search engine positioning.
7. Give gifts subscribers can actually use. Offer an opt-in bonus for joining your subscriber list! Write an eBook or provide a PDF report. But don’t limit yourself to offering gifts to opt-ins. Give them out when your readers fill out a survey, provide a testimonial, success story, or as a special holiday gift. Let them know when they can expect the next gift offer. Everyone likes to get something for free! And if you pass out ‘freebies’ throughout the year, your subscribers will feel truly appreciated − and will decrease your unsubscribe rates!
8. Ask your subscribers to pass it on. Word of mouth is a powerful viral technique that works great with email marketing. If your subscribers find your content interesting, amusing or informative, they’ll probably share it with their friends. This can be a great source of new opt-ins, so make sure on every single email you send there is a “Share With Your Friends” link…so your subscribers can easily forward the email.
9. Include a sign up button in your newsletter. This goes hand-in-hand with #8. You may feel that this is not required because the subscriber is already on your list, but remember that readers will forward your newsletters to others, especially if you incorporate the “Share With Your Friends” link. Make it easy for them to subscribe!
10. Create squeeze pages. A squeeze page has one goal − to acquire opt-ins and build your list. Think of it as a mini-sales letter to go along with your subscription or opt-in gift. It should feature a strong headline and a couple of powerful benefits that should make subscribers sign up! Once created, Check out OptimizePress if you need help creating stunning squeeze pages that convert like crazy!
If you implement these 10 ideas, you will see your subscribers soar!
If you have any other tips that you think I missed, please share them with the other readers by leaving the ideas in the comments field below!
To Your Success,